Thursday, December 2, 2010

Interstate Move #8

So, I'm moving back to NC... In January... In a few weeks...

My externship in the acute care department of Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem starts on January 11th. That's not all that far off...

I have planned absolutely nothing...fortunately, my Mom and Alan are gracious enough to let their 30 year old daughter move back home, so I don't have to find a place to live.

For those of you that I probably should have told by now, I do apologize...the issue was that for a while it was kind of a secret. I wasn't sure if it was going to happen at all and I didn't want to spread the word around, just to spread another word around about it not happening. By the time it became public knowledge, I'd forgotten who all I had told. And I've been kind of avoiding talking about it, because well, it's a bittersweet move.

I haven't hated Virginia. Not at all, but I haven't realllly loved it either. I am grateful for the move, I think it was a neat journey for Michael and I to have in the beginning of our life together...but to put it bluntly, I'm over it.

Reasons the move is sweet: NC is home, not to mention the greatest state in the country. The majority of my dear friends are there...and my dear friends are starting to have babies and I don't want to miss being there for that. My mom and Michael's mom are there...and whenever we decide to have babies, I don't want them to miss being there for that. The opportunity at Baptist is AMAZING. My supervisor already sounds fantastic. I'll be "working" 8-5 four days a week in the acute care center, evaluating and treating patients recovering from strokes, traumatic brain injuries, etc. Once a week, I'll be in the outpatient swallowing clinic and the NICU. I can't express how excited I am to spend some time in the NICU. This setting is high on my "settings where I really want to work" list. I plan to re-read my entire pediatric swallowing and feeding text over the break (I have Arvedson, if anyone has and wants to share their Wolf text, I'd be forever indebted!). Anywho, I'm looking forward to learning so much at Baptist.

Reasons the move is bitter: MICHAEL MIGHT NOT BE COMING WITH ME. this breaks my heart to even think about it, but that's life I suppose. He's been applying for jobs down there as well, but until something comes through, he'll be here in Midlo. See, this is why I've been avoiding talking about it. Now I'm crying. crap. oh well, it had to start sometime. Anyways, I've known a number of grad students who have spent more than a measly 3.5 months away from their husbands in the pursuit of a degree. I know we'll get through it. Most of the girls who have been in my position tell me I really won't notice (read back a bit, 8-5 5 days a week, did I mention the hour commute, online physics course and intensive COMPs studying?). We'll see. anywho.
Other reasons the move is bitter are obvious: missing family, and our new (and old) friends. I'll miss being around the other Holmes', the Hills, the Blochers, the Katai, and all my grad school girls (thank goodness for Carrie and Renee moving south too, I'm taking a little Longwood with me). I have a feeling I'm also going to miss the craft beer scene quite a bit. Cap Ale has almost become a second home...love those people (and their yummy drafts). It's also been nice visiting with my grandparents and some extended family on a regular basis.

Ok, now I'm just rambling. So there it is. I'll be back in Greensboro early January. As soon as COMPs (march 5th), the praxis (march 12th), and conferences (march 17th & april 9th) are over, I'll actually be able to enjoy it.

8 comments:

  1. We'll miss you! I'm excited that you're going to spend some time in the NICU. It's a crazy place, but for long timers like us it was the therapists and nurses that made it feel like home. I think you have just the personality for it, and are bound to makes some family's hard days seem a little bit brighter. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Acey, I know this is a bittersweet time for you and Michael, but in the long run, it will be worth it! I for one will be thrilled to have you and Michael back here in NC! And I know I'm not alone in that thought! As for the separation, so many couples have had to do that and just remember "absence makes the heart grow fonder." Just think about all of those military families, Kathryn and Eric included, that have had to make that sacrifice and have become stronger for it! We are proud of your commitment to your profession and know that you will be the BEST SLP there is and any place you work will be better by having you there. Best of luck! WE love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The time apart makes the time together even better. :)

    I look forward to lunch-dating you in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. why did i not know about this blog...anyway, you know the "other" holmes family aka us will be very excited to have you back in NC!!! About dang time! Lets all pray that the door opens soon for Michael to follow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. tearing up with you. you know, of course, that we want you and mike to be happy. however, it doesn't mean that it doesn't make me sad to know you will be moving hours away from here :(
    but, our friendship is for a lifetime, not matter how far apart we are.
    we love you!
    -the blocher bunch

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best of luck to you one your new adventure! We'll be here for you in Virginia if you need anything =). Robert's up for watching football with Mike!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What can your mother aka momma say except "YEAH" and I know that it will be very difficult to be away from your Michael and he away from you but it is only temporary and "you can do anything for a short time".

    I know in my heart that this is God's plan for you and Michael.
    I know that the right job is out there for our Michael, we just keep praying and remember that God's timing is not always our timing, His is perfect timing.

    We are really excited and so very PROUD of you for all that you have accomplished and the yet to come!

    You are extremely lucky to have a husband that is so supportive of you and your journey to becoming the BEST SLP in the world!!! :-)

    I promise that we will not to be strict with you regarding your curfew and keeping your room and bathroom clean ! ;-)

    We love you both so very much and we will do our best to help you two get thru this "hiccup" in your lives.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to get you back in "The Old North State!" I know it'll be hard for you and Michael to be separated for a time, but the Lord tells us in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord "plans to prosper you, not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future...and when you seek me with all your heart you will surely find me..." Romans 8:28 says, "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, whohave been called according to his purpose." (NIV) So you see, Dear Friend, He's already got it all figured out! :)

    Hang in there...I keep telling myself this craziness will all be worth it. We can do this! :-)

    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete