These posts are few and far between...but grad school is a pretty good explanation for that!
This semester is almost over. 31 days until my last final is due. I can't believe it. This semester has been great, my two practicum placements have been interesting and fun. First I did a month at a middle school and high school. It was mostly language intervention, some articulation, and a little fluency. I learned a lot, mostly that I actually enjoy that population.
Since then, I've been at a continuing care retirement community. This facility has independent living, two levels of assisted living, permanent and temporary health care, and a memory care unit. I L O V E it. I wasn't sure how I'd feel about this population, but I adore it. The therapy and evaluations are interesting and fun, while still challenging. We address swallowing problems, cognitive and memory decline, and voice problems.
My favorite part is getting to know the residents...all of them, not just our patients. My supervisor is an employee of Genesis Rehab and I'm really impressed with their company.
I've been working on a research paper in addition to my classes this semester. I've submitted it to two conferences, but I haven't heard back yet...
It's an evidence review on Cued Speech. I have learned a lot doing it. I have a love/hate relationship with research. I learn so much doing it, but sometimes its too frustrating. I have also learned that I would prefer to have research partners to brainstorm ideas and confirm thoughts, etc.
I'm running again! Slowly increasing my mileage and speed, but my hip is feeling great. I'm still doing PT exercises about twice a week. Holmes and I registered for a 5K in Charlotte, NC in December. He's been running three times a week as well. We also try to play tennis a couple times a week. Some weeks that's the only quality time he and I spend together...we've been trying to work in a date night at least once a week, just him and me, but sometimes that doesn't work out. I am grateful for my grad school opportunity, but holy smokes, I'm tired of it interfering with my ability to just be a wife. Fortunately, he is incredibly supportive and understanding.
Holidays are coming up and I can't wait. We are doing a little pre-Thanksgiving weekend in Pinehurst with the Holmes, then Thanksgiving in Atlanta with Alan's family (its been way too long since we've spent any time with them). Christmas will be out in Cali this year. It's a lot of travel, but we are used to that. Hopefully I won't be taking Physics online over the break...I'm working on finding an online course for the Spring.
Last big update: Early to mid January, I'll be moving back to my Mom's! I have been given an amazing opportunity to do my spring practicum in Winston-Salem at Wake Forest's Baptist Medical Center. I'll be in the Acute Care department, but will have opportunity to do some observations in the NICU there as well. Mike will be staying in Midlothian and we will be working out some sort of plan to see each other on weekends. It's only three and a half months...and, again, he is so supportive. There just isn't a comparable setting in Virginia for me to do a placement like this...I can't wait to get started!
No comments:
Post a Comment