Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Busy Schmusy

Well, that title looks like it should sound like Busy Schmoozy, but you get the point :)

This week is Spring Break for the students at Chattering Children. So the executive director came down from DC for a full staff meeting Monday morning. And informed us that our site in Richmond, VA would be closed down effective June 12th. There were numerous reasons, the main one being the economy and the lack of students in the area needing our services. It is true that the surrounding counties have done a wonderful job with their growing auditory oral programs. We were each given some time to absorb the information and then the Exec Dir started meeting with us individually. I was third. And promptly laid off. Effective yesterday.

Yep, I'm unemployed. To keep the school open even until June 12th, they had to cut three of us immediately. Yesterday was emotional. But not life ending. I'm blessed to have Holmes and a second income in our home. I'm blessed to have FOUR supportive parents that were upbeat and encouraging about the whole situation.



The sad parts: 1) I don't get to see any of my kids again to say good bye. Those of you that don't work with children may not understand this, but those of you that do will understand how devastating this really is. 2) I don't know how the other two teachers left there will be able to handle their "new" caseloads and I think some kids are going to get cut from therapy. So many of the kids we were seeing are going through really crucial times...just activated CIs, just implanted bilateral CI, just diagnosed need for hearing aids, it will be crushing for these families to lose services and I hope they don't have to. My friends are amazing therapists and teachers as well, but physically the kids and hours in the day don't match up. Fortunately, they both care immensely for those children and I know they will do the best they can to get everyone taken care of. 3) that lack of paycheck. 4) having to deal with insurance companies. 5) having to go to the unemployment office. 6) I have a deep fear that people will think I was let go because of a performance issue. Being reassured by the Executive Director and her lawyer that it was nothing personal and has nothing to do with my work was not reassuring enough. 6) the pity that is going to be directed at me over the coming months.

The not as sad parts (couldn't bring myself to write "happy"): 1) I have more time to spend with Holmes. 2) I have more time to focus on school 3) I have more time to focus on training 4) I have more time to spend with Riley 5) I have more time to get the wedding planned. 6) I'm able to search for a new job by just full on BLASTING my resume to everyone I know. (note: check back soon for a copy of my resume) 7) I might get more financial aid for school 8) I'm able to make jokes about it (I only cry every other time) 9) I have supportive parents (I mentioned that already huh?) 10) I have amazing friends



So that's here's my plan today. Resume clean up, email bonanza, unemployment office, call insurance companies, draft letter about financial aid, run 8 miles and "attend" the live review class for anatomy. Surprisingly busy for an unemployed chic.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, this stinks, but your attitude is already perfect! You have so much going on right now...that job was just holding you back :) But seriously, you will be ok. Lots of prayer and wishful thinking...that's the way to go!

    ReplyDelete