Thursday, January 21, 2010

Haiti vs. Home

Note: I think *I* wrote this about a month ago and saved it as a draft for some reason...I say I think, because I really don't even remember writing it. That's how awful my memory is. But I agree with it...um, so, I'll take credit until someone else steps up and says otherwise. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.


The situation in Haiti is sad. I don't have to tell you that.

But arguments are being made by some about the amount of money that the government is giving to the country. The amount of outpouring from our citizens. Why not to ourselves? We have homeless, we have hungry, we have orphans, etc. Superficially, it could be easy to agree...but the homeless here are better off than the homeless in Haiti. The water here, even from a random building tap, is likely safer than anything available in Haiti. The orphans here...well, I won't get into a judgment of America's foster system because a lot is wrong...but just as much is right. That option doesn't exist in Haiti. The hungry? Again, a half eaten sandwich can be found in a trash can here, that probably would not kill a homeless person. In Haiti, I doubt those are anywhere to be found.

And not too long ago, we did this for Katrina...our people. So I don't think its as much a view of "where" but "what". The level of catastrophe and helplessness.

But maybe this is a good time for us to reevaluate the level of catastrophe in our own country.

No comments:

Post a Comment